Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Myth or Fact?

"By only lifting 3-8 pound weights I will achieve my goal of getting a toned body"
MYTH or FACT?

MYTH

I always want to giggle at the women who come into the gym, lift their 3 lb weights and expect to get "toned". How much does a can of soup weigh? How much does your 3 year old weigh? Probably more that 5 lbs. To build muscle you need to place stress on your muscles, stress that your muscles are not used to. So if you lift your 3 year old kid 15 + times a day, lifting a 5 lb weight 10 times at the gym isn't going to cause your muscle to adapt and change to the stress placed on it. Make sense?

Women should not worry about "bulking up" unless you are taking steroids. The key to being fit and looking toned is building lean muscle mass, you are going to have to lift heavy weights in order to accomplish this.

The number of repetitions, sets, days of the week you work out, and how your program is developed will help you to achieve different results including Endurance, Power, Stabilization, and Hypertrophy (muscle bulk).

This is just an intro to how women should be using weights to gain lean muscle mass so if you would like me to post more specific ideas such as example work out plans let me know and I would be happy to go into further detail. Let me know what your goals are and I'll try to get into more depth on how to achieve them.

No comments:

Post a Comment