Monday, September 26, 2011

Early Morning Workouts: what to eat

I usually like to get up and eat something about a half hour to an hour before my workouts so I make sure i have energy to get a great workout. Eating before hand worked well when I used to workout around nine or ten, I had plenty of time to eat and digest something.
My sister and I have recently started working out with each other in the mornings around 6 am. So this means I'm dragging myself out of bed around 5:55, throwing my clothes on, and running wildly out the door with no time to eat. This has not been great on my body, I get into the gym and I'm practically already shaking before my work out. This has lead me to write this post about what to eat before an early morning workout.

As a general rule, Carbs digest faster than Proteins or Fat so I'm going to say that eating something rich in Carbohydrates is going to do you well if you're just waking up and running out the door to your workout. As well Carbohydrates are easily converted by your body into energy.

Eating something before you workout that is high in fat or sugar can actually make you sick, and slow you down. As well remember that yes it is important to eat before you work out but don't eat too many calories, which as well may be hard for your body to digest.

Snack Ideas:
Whole grain toast with peanut butter
A banana and low fat yogurt
Cereal and Milk
Power Bar and Water

Everyone is different and so eating some of the things listed above can have a bad effect on you. I know many people that cannot eat dairy before their workout with out feeling sick. So i'd say try out a couple different things and notice how you feel before, during, and after your workout and go from there :)

Homework!- What do you eat before your workout? Do you eat before a workout? When (how close to your workout) do you eat?

4 comments:

  1. I've been running at 6:30 so usually wake up at 6:15 just enough time to put in contacts, work out clothes and meet my friend. Usually I eat half a banana. I just need a little something and since I don't do really hard runs sometimes I go without.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've noticed that when we went running and on zumba days I'm not bothered by my lack of food before working out. But on weight training days I feel weak and STARVING. Maybe because cardio has me more 'busy' so I don't notice? I dunno. Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oatmeal is great. Either instant ot quick oats in the microwave takes only a minute and a half and you have a tasty treat that won't upset your stomach and won't sit like a lump in your gut while you run or workout. I add craisins and a bit of honey and a splash of skim milk. Yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, and I can do it just before I run or workout. No waiting required.

    ReplyDelete